11.01.2009

Birthdays






As we know after we graduate, and the older we get it is not as easy to remind the whole world that it is your Birthday. In school is was easy because you could bring in a bunch of cupcakes and prance around wearing a "Birthday Girl" sash and by the end of the day everyone at that school knew whose day it was. But after graduation my world got a whole lot bigger and contrary to what some of you believe it is NOT okay to walk around work and walmart and wherever else you go that day with a sparkly crown and announce the beloved day to everyone. So there are some years that are disappointing and lonely because aside from the early morning phone calls from my parents, siblings, and nieces and nephews its just like any other day. So being a single girl who lives by herself I was very much surprised the other day when I received my first birthday card in the mail. I was intrigued to see who would be sending me this and as I opened the card it read. "Happy Birthday! We appreciate your business. Come in to New Balance and receive a free pair of athletic socks." At that moment I had a realization that would change my life forever. Signing up for those business registration things are totally worth it! Who knew my first birthday card of the year would be from New Balance? And I got free athletic socks to boot! Shortly after that I received an e-mail from Maurices wishing me a happy day as well. So the moral of the story is that Birthdays are never going to be what they once were when I was five, but that doesn't mean that everyone in the world has to know ,or that it has to be a whole day event to be special. The small things are just as important. As far as I am concerned cake and chocolate have zero calories on your Birthday. And as long as that never changes I will be a happy girl.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Corinne--YOU have just won the chance to do dishes at MY house!!!
    :O) MOM

    ReplyDelete