7.06.2009

I can go the distance....

" I know every mile will be worth my while...."
That is totally my running theme song. Awesome right? haha I know!



Well I ran my first race and didn't die or come in last place, which were my 2 goals, so I am pretty dang proud. There were a lot of things that happened in that short time (It was only a 5K) But I learned soo much and I am ready for my 2nd challenge which is a 10K at the end of August. The race started at 7am in Centerville so I got there at 630 and my friend Rachel, me, and her sister walked over. I was soo nervous when we got there because there were just tons and tons of people all over everywhere and some of them were looking pretty intense. And I am thinking.. Oh boy I hope I got signed up for the 5K cause these people are looking like they are running a marathon. I was slightly intimidated and very nervous but I could not stop smiling. I just kept thinking holy cow! How am I supposed to run like normal with all of these people around? When I run I am always by myself I can't have any distractions... total concentration ... even when I went home to visit I had to yell at my mom to stop talking and run ahead of me because I have to get into the zone. So needless to say I was slightly freaked but happy to be there. So the gun goes off and me and Rachel are kinda at the front (not for long I assure you) and everyone just takes off. We round the first corner and everyone starts spreading out so I was feeling a little better about not running over people, and then we pass theses 2 little kids and they are yelling "Mom wait for us" and the mom that was about 3 yards away didn't turn around she just yelled back "Sorry you are on your own" and took off.. as if saying eat my dust kidos... haha me and Rachel just started laughing , and I realized that this was going to be one of the funnest things I have ever done. Good thing I had humor on my side cause as we turned the next corner there was a big hill-Oh SHIZ! Okay so here is my problem... I have only been running for about 2 months now, and I don't train on hills. Partly because they scare me, but also because I am worried I wont be able to run as far without wheezing and cursing if I run up hills, So I just stay away. Well today I was accomplishing a lot of firsts so I attacked the hill and just told myself I was going to keep the same pace, also I think someone else had a hand in this one because there were a lot of little kids around so I wasn't really allowed to curse... Out loud anyways. Well we are running up this hill and I am getting passed by 12 year old kids and all sorts of different shaped people. Then to my left out of the corner of my eye I see this guy passes me and he is in nice dress pants, a dress shirt, with a backpack and stick coming out of the bag up over his head and in front of him tied to the end of the stick was a Subway sandwich, and he is just jogging away! I don't know what his name was but I secretly thanked him and called him my guardian angel for taking my mind off of the hill. Also, Rachel saw him too so I know I wasn't just hallucinating radom men. But really it was soo nice to just be in the moment and be enjoying it. I mean sure I was sweating but I was having fun. So I make it to the first mile no problem, piece of cake. The second mile. That one felt like it was never going to happen. I just kept running thinking okay okay where are you, but it finally creeped up and was a welcomed relief. The only problem I would have to say about the 2nd mile is that I did not appreciate the moms with their strollers and litters of kids passing me. I mean come on! Here I am running with youth, and energy, and happiness, and out of nowhere a stroller is passing me. I was thinking Oh Come on! These are the one people I should be able to pass and here you are... my worst fear... gliding right past me making it look effortless (insert dirty word). It's okay because I decided that instead of being bitter I would instead decided right then and there that I too would be one of those moms that would be called names as she jogged past people with her offspring, and that made me feel better. All and all it was a very good experience. After the second mile I decided to kick it up a bit and run a bit fast, but my breathing got the best of me and I got a side stitch. I have been battling those since day one of running and so I knew I was just not breathing right, but I was not about to stop and walk! No way sister... not this girl. So I had a little chat with my side and said listen, I started this race as a runner and I am going to finish as a runner and I am planning of finishing this race so you can either stick around and watch me finish, or go away and let me be. Luckily it decided to take the high road, and I was able to run up one more hill and around the corner to the finish line. Which was one of the best moments ever! It is hard for me to imagine that not too long ago I was just hoping to make it 5 minutes without stopping and here I was finishing 3 miles. I didn't make great time. I finished at like 41:52, but that is not what is important to me right now. People finished before me and after me but it didn't matter. I was there for me. I ran that race for me, and I met all the goals I set. I didn't die, and I didn't finish last. The best part though was that I ran the whole thing. I am excited to see where I can take this. I know I can only get better, and I am happy to see change. So that is one race down 2 more to go! Half marathon here I come! It is amazing how fast I am getting addicted to this running thing. I do have to give a little shout out to adrenaline though... it is quickly becoming on of my dearest friends.

2 comments:

  1. i am soooo proud of you! i need to get more motivated to do something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the blog address :-) fun to see how you are and who you have become, since I haven't seen you in years.

    I think you are awesome! I always have, but the fact that you are accomplishing such goals is amazing!! Isn't it crazy how many thoughts you can have while running? I run too and frequently have conversations with different parts of my body, telling them they can do more than they think they can, etc.

    I can't believe you prefer no distractions...i am completely opposite. I prefer going with a friend and chatting it up the entire time. Just so fun seeing how everyone differs :-)

    I don't know if you saw on my blog, but I did my first marathon about 6 weeks ago...pretty crazy stuff. you'll love the 1/2 marathon, really really love it!

    can't wait for more fun updates!

    ReplyDelete